Tuesday 21 December 2010

Product Review Silk Nail Wraps for Split Nails

So its been about 2 months since the drawer incident, and guess what my split nail has still survived and nearly grown out :D for the first 22 days I was using nail bandages to solve the problem, click here to see how that faired :D and although it went extremely well, I was soon running low on nail bandages as you have to change the bandage each time you do your manicure (they probably last 7-10 days if you don't constantly change your mani like me). So when I was running low on bandages I went back to Sally's to purchase more and sadly they were sold out, however the kind lady in the store pointed me towards the nail wraps. 

you get two long sheets of silk wrap (at least 20cm long each) for about £6 (initially this seemed a bit steep, but as you will see later it is extremely cost effective!) and although the lady said that the usual nail glue would work fine, I opted for the Brush On Glue which was £4, so thats £10 in total for the kit, it helps to have a hoof stick and a nail buffer as well, but I already had these.

ASP Brush on Glue and Nail Wrap Strip

Application
  • Ensure the Nail is completely clean and free from oils (I always use a bit of alcohol or OPI Chip Skip to ensure the nail bed is completely clean and free from residue)
  • Cut of a very small piece of Nail wrap from the strip, big enough to cover the split
  • Using a pin or the corner of your nail peel the silk off the paper backing and pick up with a hoof stick:

  • Place the silk wrap onto the bare nail, ensuring the split is completely covered and press the wrap down so it lies as close to nail as possible.
  • Apply the glue with the brush over the wrap ensuring it is completely saturated, it should turn clear in colour:

  • Wait for the glue to dry completely (about 5 minutes)
  • Gently buff the area where the silk wrap is and file any edges the overlap, be careful not to overbuff
  • you can use a ridge filler as a base coat to mask ridges, but I find 2 coats of OPI Nail Envy does the trick, especially if you are planning on using a thick top coat e.g. Seche Vite after painting nails, this really hides the wrap well.
  • Do your manicure as usual.

So I did all of the above about a month ago, thinking I'd have to redo each time I did my manicure, as I cant bare to use acetone free nail polish, but lo and behold, I've not had to change the wrap even once, its lasted incredible well, even when saturating my nails in acetone to remove glitters, the wrap still hasn't shifted. here are some pics from the nail in question over the last month :D

Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

 Week 5

On close inspection you can see the line with some of the manis, (holographic blue polish, and one of the green manis from week 4) however this is probably because I haven't buffed the wrap down as much as possible, my nails are extremely weak due to illness, so I am very very wary of overbuffing, on the whole though it is literally invisible, and I am beyond ecstatic with how well these have worked, when you consider there's two long strips (about 20cm long) in the pack these seem ridiculously cost effective to me, and I don't think I'll need to rebuy for at least a year, sure the glue may not last as long, but its always good to have a working nail glue in your kit, so in my opinion these nail wraps are far more cost effective that the nail bandages, and they literally look like they will last until the nail grows out completely, and the fact that you don't need to reapply each time you do your manicure is definitely a time saver :D

I think my nail only has about 2mm to go before the split has grown out completely :D I'm so happy, a year ago a split nail would have meant nubbins, but with these amazing wraps I can save my nails, and with all the brutality that Christmas wrapping poses to nails, (my right thumb split last week :( so another silk wrap has been applied) I don't think I could have survived without these. 

10/10!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment